The Family of Andrew and Martha Sproule of Tullymoan (1740 – 1820)
1. ANDREW SPROULE OF TULLYMOAN was born about 1740 in Tullymoan, Urney, County Tyrone, Ireland, the son of William Sproule of Tullymoan. He married MARTHA SPROULE OF COOLNACRUNIAGH, who was the daughter of Samuel Sproule of Coolnacruniagh and the granddaughter of Thomas Spreull of Golan. Martha was born about 1750 in Coolnacruniagh and she died in 1820 in Tullymoan, Tyrone, Northern Ireland. Andrew died before 1800.
Andrew Sproule of Tullymoan and Martha Sproule of Coolnacruniagh had the following children:
1.1 ANDREW SPROULE OF TULLYMOAN was born about 1770 in Strabane, County Tyrone, Ireland. He died after 1840. He married REBECCA MACKEY. She was born in 1774 in Lismontigley, Raphoe, Donegal. She died on 01 Feb 1858 in Tullymoan, Urney, County Tyrone, Ireland (Aged 84).
For Andrew’s family, see below.
1.2 ROBERT SPROULE was born about 1773 in Tullymoan, Tyrone. Robert lived for a time in Broomfield, just over the border in Donegal, but he sold that to Jane, the daughter of his brother Andrew and moved to Strabane. He married ANN LECKY from Altamullen, Termonamongan, Couty Tyrone. He died in June 1834 in Strabane, Tyrone, Ireland
1.2.1. ROBERT SPROULE OF JAMAICA was born in Strabane, County Tyrone, Ireland. He was a planter in Jamaica, having his own property called Orange Vale in the parish of St George. He died in 1862 in Mulvin, County Tyrone, Ireland. He married MARY ANN THOMAS.
220.127.116.11. ROBERT SPROULE was born on 26 Jun 1843 in Jamaica. He married Mary Jane Brown, daughter of John Brown, on 20 Nov 1861. She was born about 1844.
18.104.22.168. MARGARET MATILDA SPROULE.
22.214.171.124. ANDREW SPROULE
126.96.36.199. JANE THOMAS SPROULE was born in 1835 in Jamaica. She married James Ward on 18 Jan 1855 in Melbourne, Australia.
1.2.2. MATILDA SPROULE married William Gwynn on 25 Mar 1828 in Strabane, County Tyrone, Ireland.
1.3 SAMUEL SPROULE MD was born in 1774 in Tullymoan, Tyrone, Northern Ireland. He was a surgeon in the East India Company in Bombay and became Head of the Medical Board there. He retired to Enland in 1828, and died on 30 May 1829 in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England. (Aged 53). He married Eliza Walker, daughter of William Walker, on 10 Nov 1818 in Bowland (Samuel 42 , Eliza 22). Eliza was born in 1796 and she died on 06 Nov 1827 in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England (Aged 31).
1.3.1 ANN JANE SPROULE was born on 29 Sep 1819 in Bombay, India. She died on 02 Sep 1876 in Elham, Kent, United Kingdom (Age at Death: 56). She married SIR JOHN RIVETT-CARNAC BART, son of James Rivett Carnac (Baronet) and Anna Maria Richardes, on 19 Dec 1840 in Bombay, India. John Rivett-Carnac was born in 1818 in Baroda, Madhya Pradesh, India and he died on 11 Aug 1883 in Farleigh House, Cheriton Road, Folkestone, Kent, England.
188.8.131.52. MARY ELIZABETH SPROULE RIVETT-CARNAC was born about 1842 in Hordle, Hampshire, England. She died in Apr 1862 in Kensington, London, United Kingdom. She married an unknown spouse in 1862.
184.108.40.206. FRANCES HENRIETTA RIVET CARNAC was born in Jun 1843 in Lymington, Hampshire, United Kingdom. She died on 23 Nov 1925 in Hampshire, England. She married an unknown spouse in Jan 1872 in Lymington, Hampshire. She married an unknown spouse on 18 Jan 1866 in Milford, Hampshire, England.
220.127.116.11. CAROLINE ANNE EMMA RIVETT-CARNAC was born in Sep 1844 in Warborn Boldre, Hampshire, England. She died on 04 Jul 1921 in The Nursing House, St. Georges Road, Pimlico, Middlesex, London. She married John Pennock Campbell in 1875 in Lymington, Hampshire, England. He was born on 04 Feb 1835 in Jamaica. He died on 25 Dec 1903 in 10 Drayton Gardens, South Kensington, Middlesex, England (Age: 60).
18.104.22.168. JAMES HENRY SPROULE RIVETT-CARNAC was born in Sep 1846 in Lymington, Hampshire, United Kingdom. He died in 1909 in Kensington, London, United Kingdom (Age at Death: 62). He married MARY JEANNIE HENDERSON. She was born about 1856 in Bodmin, Cornwall, England. She died on 05 Apr 1927 in 24 Chester Terrace, Eaton Square, Westminster.
22.214.171.124. JOHN LOUIS RIVETT CARNAC was born about 1851 in Milford, Hampshire, England. He died on 28 Dec 1863 in Torquay, Devon, England.
1.3.2 HARRY ROBERTSON SPROULE was the illegitimate son of Samuel Sproule, and he was born on 25 Sep 1809 in Bombay, India. He died on 22 Jul 1828 in Brighton, Sussex, England.
1.4 JAMES SPROULE OF MELLMOUNT was born about 1776 in Tullymoan, Urney, County Tyrone, Ireland. He died on 01 Aug 1840 in Jamaica. He married (1) CHARLOTTE E TAYLOR, daughter of Simon Taylor The Hon and Unknown, in Jamaica. She was born in 1795 in Jamaica. She died on 17 Apr 1849 in Mellmount, Strabane, Tyrone. He married (2) UNKNOWN.
1.4.1. MARGARET MADDEN SPROULE was baptised in Jamaica on 25 Jan 1814 in Jamaica. She was registered as the ‘reputed daughter’ of James Sproule. She died on 18 Aug 1846 in Mellmount, Strabane, Tyrone, aged 32. She married her first cousin, Samuel Sproule MD, son of James’ brother William Sproule and Ann Knox, on 16 Jan 1836 in Urney, County Tyrone, Ireland (Aged 22). He was born on 15 Oct 1814 in Glentimon, Tyrone, Northern Ireland. He died on 28 Aug 1848 in Marseilles, Bouches-du-Rhône, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France (Aged 34).
1.4.2. WILLIAM TAYLOR SPROULE OF ILLINOIS was born on 22 Jan 1816 in Jamaica. He went to America in the mid 1840s with his brother Robert Samuel Sproule. He lived first in Rush, Indiana, then in Clinton, Decatur, Indiana. Finally, he settled in Sumpter, Cumberland, Illinois, where he had a large farm. He married Paulina Ballenger on 18 Apr 1847 in Rush, Indiana. She was born on 14 Feb 1822 in Kentucky. She died between 1857-1865 in Indiana. William Taylor Sproule died in 1902 in Coles Co., Illinois.
1.4.3. MATILDA ANN SPROULE was born on 11 Oct 1819 in Jamaica. She died on 12 Oct 1905 in Bowling Green, Strabane, County Tyrone, aged 84. She married William Smyth of Bowling Green on 11 Jun 1842 in Urney, Tyrone, Ireland. He was born in 1812 and died on 17 Jun 1889 in Strabane, Tyrone, Ireland.
1.4.4. ELLEN MADDEN SPROULE was born in Apr 1822 in Jamaica. She died on 06 May 1849 in Mellmount, Strabane, Co. Tyrone, Ireland, aged 27.
1.4.5. ROBERT SAMUEL SPROULE was baptised on 18 Sep 1826 in Jamaica. Robert went to America in the mid 1840s, and lived in Rush, Indiana near his brother William Taylor. He married Mary F Campbell on 19 Jun 1849 in Cass, Texas, USA. He later moved to Marion, Indiana, near to his nephew William Knox Sproule, where he was a lawyer and a newspaper editor. He died in 1873 in Indianapolis, USA. She was born in 1826 in Ohio.
1.4.6. Jane Nugent Sproule was born about 1831 in Jamaica, she did not marry and died on September 1919 in Kilkeel, County Down, Ireland.
1.4.7. SARAH CHARLOTTE SPROULE was born about 1834. She married Andrew N Reid on 21 Jul 1859 in Strabane, County Tyrone, Ireland. He was born about 1830 in Lifford, Donegal, Ireland.
1.5 WILLIAM SPROULE was born about 1778 in Tullymoan, Urney, County Tyrone, Ireland. He died about 1827 in Tyrone, Ireland. He married ANN KNOX. She was born in Glentimon, Tyrone, Ireland. She died on 12 Jun 1847 in Glentimon, Tyrone, Ireland.
1.5.1. SAMUEL SPROULE MD was born on 15 Oct 1814 in Tyrone, Northern Ireland. He qualified as a surgeon in 1834 and a physician in 1835, and joined the East India Company in Bombay in 1836. He died on 28 Aug 1848 in Marseilles, Bouches-du-Rhône, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France (Aged 34). He married Margaret Madden Sproule, daughter of James Sproule of Mellmount and Charlotte Taylor, on 16 Jan 1836 in Strabane, Urney, County Tyrone, Ireland (Aged 22). She was baptised on 25 Jan 1814 in Jamaica. She died on 18 Aug 1846 in Mellmount, Strabane, Tyrone (Aged 32).
The Family of Andrew Sproule of Tullymoan (c.1760 - c.1845)
Andrew Sproule was born about 1760 in Tullymoan, Urney, County Tyrone, Ireland. Andrew was one of the five sons of Andrew Sproule of Tullymoan and Martha Sproule of Coolnacruniagh. He married REBECCA MACKAY from Lismontigley, Raphoe, County Donegal. Rebecca was born in 1774 and she died in 1858.
- ANDREW SPROULE Died November 1826 in Jamaica at the home of James Sproule of Spring Bank/ Rosemount in Jamaica. (No issue)
- SAMUEL SPROULE Died 1827. Samuel was training to be a surgeon and was either in his Uncle Samuel's home in Cheltenham England or on route to Bombay when he died. (No issue)
- JANE SPROULE 1802-1864 Jane married Andrew Sproule of Glenfin and lived in Broomfield, Co Donegal. They had five children - Andrew Sproule and Samuel Sproule died in St Louis, also had Elizabeth, Rebecca and Charlotte
- CATHERINE SPROULE 1803 -1833 died unmarried at her father's home in Tullymoan
- MARGARET SPROULE d. 1835 died unmarried at her father's home in Tullymoan
- MATILDA SPROULE d. 1838 youngest daughter died unmarried at Tullymoan
- WILLIAM JOHN SPROULE MD. went to Glasgow University and qualified in 1834. Worked as a Doctor in the dispensary in Dunfanaghy. Married Ellen Ramsey of Lisennan House, Letterkenny in September 1836. They had two children Andrew Sproule of Fernhill 1835-1908, and Robert born 1838. William John died on 8th January 1839 in the home of his father-in-law in Letterkenny.
- JAMES SPROULE born 1816 in Tullymoan, married Mary McGlinchey. See below for details of their family.
The Family of James Sproule of Tullymoan (1816 – 1897)JAMES SPROULE was born about 1816 in Tullymoan, Urney, County Tyrone, Ireland. James was youngest child of Andrew Sproule of Tullymoan and Rebecca Mackey of Lismontigley, Raphoe, County Donegal. James Sproule married MARY MCGLINCHY in 1869 when he was 53 years old.
Mary was born in 1838 and was the daughter of James McGlinchey and Mary Dolan, from Laghtmorris, Termonamongan, County Tyrone.
James died on 10th March 1897 in Tullymoan, County Tyrone, aged 81.
Mary died in 1923 in Tullymoan, Tyrone.
Mary and James Sproule had nine children:
1. ANDREW WILLIAM SPROULE was born on 15th Nov 1870 in Tullymoan. He died in 1909 in Strabane aged 38.
2. SAMUEL SPROULE was born on 17th Feb 1872. Samuel Sproule became the owner of Tullymoan when his mother died in 1923 and his family are there to this day.
3. REBECCA JANE SPROULE (BECKY) was born on 7 Jul 1873
4. CATHERINE SPROULE (CASSIE) was born on 20 Jan 1875. Cassie married PHILIP MCNULTY
5. MARGARET MATILDA SPROULE (TILLY) was born on 15 Apr 1876. Tilly married James Loughlin on 8 Sep 1913 and they lived in Donemana, County Tyrone.
6. THOMAS SPROULE was born on 24 Aug 1877. Thomas worked as policeman in Dublin from approximately 1897 to 1922. He was offered a position with the Garda but he took early retirement and went back to Doneyloop in Donegal to farm. He married Catherine Gallagher from Castlederg in August 1938 when he was 61 years old and they had two boys. Thomas died on 8th of September 1970 aged 93.
7. HENRY SPROULE was born on 31 May 1879. He married SARA ANN MCCLOSKEY in Sep 1916.
8. ROBERT SPROULE was my grandfather. He was born on 31st May 1879 with his twin Henry in Tullymoan, Urney, County Tyrone. He married Sara Dreenan, daughter of Owen Dreenan of Ardmalin, Malin Head, County Donegal and Annie McLaughlin, in Dec 1908 in St Eugenes Cathedral, Derry. Sara Dreenan was born about 1892 and she died on 10th Mar 1938.
Robert was a policeman in the Royal Irish Constabulary and, at the time of his wedding, he was stationed in Athenry.
Robert retired from the RIC at the time of independence in 1922.
In the 1911 Census, Robert and Sara are living in 43, Argyle Street, with their baby Veronica. They lived there for some time, and then moved to Westland Avenue. Robert Sproule died in 1966 in Derry, Northern Ireland.
9. RICHARD SPROULE was born in 1881 and he died in 1882